Sunday, September 18, 2011

Afghans & Food

  One thing that's important to know about Afghans, they are somewhat obsessed with their food.  They take great pride in their cooking, and will commonly tell you that they'll prefer their home-cooking to any other restaurant out there.  No matter how delicious a restaurant can be, it will never compare in the freshness and high quality of their own cooking.  It's almost comical how often the words "fresh" and "best quality" come up when talking to Afghans about food.

   Zaki's parents visited us today, bringing us tons of spices, plates, and cooking utensils (we just moved into this apartment and were severely lacking).  The last Sunday they visited they'd taken stock of what our sad little kitchen was missing and today arrived with bags upon bags of stuff.

  On his parents last visit, I was taught how to make a very basic Afghan Palau (rice dish), a staple to any Afghan dinner.  Today, they tested me by letting me make it myself, which I luckily did perfectly fine from memory (*sigh of relief*).  This time his Mom had also recommended I learn a basic version of Afghan Banjan (fried eggplant yogurt dish), she'd brought all the ingredients with her, and we quickly got to cooking (his Mama pictured left).

  Let me just say, I love this dish.  Being American, I did not grow up with very many eggplants in my house.  Though my Mom cooked every night (and delicious food at that!), it was just never a vegetable we used.  That said, I had tasted this delicious eggplant dish once before at Zak's brothers house.  His Sister-In-Law had already happily shown me her version, and now I've watched his Mom.  I love learning this stuff, not only because it's comfort food for Zaki but because it's extremely yummy stuff that I'd love to cook for myself or my family too.

  The eggplant was sooooo good, I couldn't help but stuff myself.  His parents kept claiming they weren't hungry and had only stopped by to give us some things and quickly teach me how to make banjan.  They promptly left and Zaki and I finished off the banjan ourselves.

One of these days I will add a recipe section to my blog and include all of these tasty delights.  Though many Afghan dishes can be found online, I feel it's important to see all the variations (with amazing photos included).  His family has their own way, and it seems worth sharing with the world.

The Burani Banjan without the yogurt added.
(Next time I will take better pictures!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment